The Settlement Workers in Schools (SWIS) Program is a school-based outreach program that helps newcomer students and their families settle into their North and West Vancouver school and community. SWIS Workers meet with students and families one-on-one to provide support and to facilitate meetings between families, students and school staff. Workshops are held to provide information and support for students and families in a group setting.
Workshop topics for parents include:
• Back-to-School Essentials for parents of elementary school students
• Back-to-School Essentials for parents of high school students
• English Language Learning Orientation
• Orientation to Report Cards/grading system, etc.
• Post-Secondary Education Information
• Information session on Graduation Requirements
• Transition to High School Information
• Summer Learning Information
• North Shore Summer Activities
• Back-to-School Essentials for elementary school/high school students
• Expression! (for youth aged 8-12 years)
• NEONology Leadership Training (for high school youth)
• Girls Group (for females in high school)
SWIS services for parents are available in Farsi, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Tagalog, French and English. There is access to interpretation services for other languages as needed. The youth programs are offered in English.
8 - 99 yrs